Coaching or Therapy?
What is the difference between coaching and therapy and which would be best for me?
This is a common question I get from clients and my simple response is; therapist’s work focuses on mental health difficulties, diagnoses and assesments so that the client can be clinically treated. On the other hand, a Coach is more focus on helping you achieve your future goals setting clients up with the skills so that they can then work on their own. Therapy is more focus on your past, while coaching pay more attention to the future.
There is indeed a gray line and multiple factors to consider when deciding which way to go. Here some main differences between coaching and therapy that can help you define what’s best for you:
- Integral Coaching focusses on goal setting and the accountability to achieve them. You can benefit from a coach if:
- Want to set goals and achieve them
- Feel stuck in your life
- You are looking into creating new habits
- Want to have more courage in your life
- Want to quiet your inner critic
- You want to get out of your comfort zone to challenge yourself.
- You have thoughts about career changes.
- You are looking into knowing yourself better
- Are looking into being able to setting healthy boundaries.
- You want to develop meaningful connections with those you love most.
- Therapy focuses on mental health and emotional healing. Its best to see a therapist if:
- You need help healing past trauma
- You are struggling with addictions
- You are experiencing symptoms that are getting in the way of your life (depression, trauma, anxiety disorders…)
- Serious relationship issues
- Co-dependent behaviors
Most importantly, if you are not feeling your best, reach out. Get help. Regardless of which professional you decide to go with, try to find referrals and set up an initial appointment or discovery call. This will be a good opportunity for both, the professional and client, determine if they are a good fit to work together.
The discovery call is also an opportunity to clarify what the client is looking for and decide if coaching is the best fit for them or if reffering a therapist is the way to go. Either way, setting that first appointment is the first step to achieve the changes you are looking for.